craiglouis@shaw.ca

The world so far...

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Easter Island

Today has easily been the best day of the cruise – and those of you who talked to me before I left should know why. I’ve wanted to visit Easter Island ever since I can remember; where’s Easter Island and why did I want to go there so badly? It’s just a small island in the Pacific Ocean between South America and Tahiti, officially belonging to Chile. Remember those National Geographic magazine covers with the stone heads? That’s Easter Island! The Moai are scattered across the island, acting as fallen mysteries of the tribes and cultures that previously inhabited the land. The smallest of them measures approximately 8 feet; the largest was just over 40 feet. The huge statues took up an estimated 25% of the entire island’s resources to construct and their movement from the volcano quarry to their final resting places is the common theory as to the deforestization of the entire island. Steve, Christine and I grabbed a cab and Heiman (our driver) sped around the island (up to 120 km/h) to make sure we saw everything before we all had to be back aboard for work. Amazingly extraordinary day, without a question. It goes without saying that I highly recommend Easter Island to anyone… even though I doubt you can actually get here by any means besides a ship without a ticket costing a small fortune.