craiglouis@shaw.ca

The world so far...

Friday, April 6, 2007

Haifa, Israel

We had a lot of media onboard the ship all day yesterday because we were the first passenger cruise ship to visit Israel in seven years - the story even made today's frontpage news in the Jerusalem Times! There were more tours and media onboard today, but I skipped out early to wander the streets of Haifa. What a beautiful city; so full of culture, perfection and harmony - it is fantastic. Along some of the streets, tucked away behind houses and randomly found all around are ylang-ylang trees, so the entire city has an amazing smell. It is also the birth place of the Baha'i, which is what the majority of the pictures are showing. It's Israel. When I was here in 2001 with Sam it was awesome and it has yet to disapoint. I wanted to meet up with my Great Uncle Louis, but because he lives too far away and neither of us drive, it became too difficult of a task (not to mention my shortened time constraints). I went to the tourist information centre and asked if there was a phone I could use to make a call; when the lady founf out I was calling family in Israel she gave me her cell phone and refused to take any money from me for the call. Thanks random lady! Uncle Louis - It was so great to talk to you and a shame we couldn't meet up, but there's always another day.