craiglouis@shaw.ca

The world so far...

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Bali, Indonesia









Much like two years ago, Bali was an incredible day. And, much like two years ago, I did it all by myself – for the most part. I stayed on to do the program and Lori promised me that she’d be waiting ashore, to which I replied something to the effect of, “Sure Lori, of course you’ll be.” Needless to say, if you know good ol’ Gypsy at all, she wasn’t there. After being accosted and thoroughly harassed by the mob of Indonesian men, women and children on the pier, I found myself an English-speaking transport driver with an air-conditioned truck to take me around the island. After a quick stop to see and feel the volcanic black sand beach, we were on our way to the city of Ubud and the Sacred Monkey Forest. Benoit, you’d have the best time here as there are so many monkeys everywhere that they easily outnumbered all the tourists. They are, however, evil little things that love to steal anything that isn’t bolted down (I have a picture of one monkey playing with a light bulb) and get quite pissed off if they know you’re holding back on any food you may have. Nyoman, my driver, bought me some finger bananas to feed them, which instantly caused a hoard of monkeys to surround me and constantly follow me around the forest. The forest itself is amazing and ancient, and the ambiance of the entire place is spectacular – besides the random tourists screaming at a monkey for taking their hat or camera… maybe a small child. From Ubud, we went to the rather large market where I found nothing to buy, but was quite interested in some carved wood pieces; Nyoman, being the great driver he is, took me to one of the better wood carving places on the island where I found an unbelievable piece – a three-dimensional Mahogany wood, 2x3 feet large frame (all from one piece of wood) carved with dragons and other traditional Indonesian designs. We then ventured to another sacred temple where there’s a bat cave; thousands and thousands of screeching fruit bats take refuge in this cave where a giant python lives and periodically comes out to feed on them. That was the extent of my touring. With about ten minutes to spare before my dinner date with Lizzie, I got back to ship and quickly towelled down from the ridiculous humidity. Nyoman waited for me and took us to Hotel Rama Candidasa, a five-star hotel on the beach, overlooking the sunset, mountains and the Amsterdam. To our surprise, Rich, Cynthia and all the other Front Office girls were there having dinner with Rich’s ex-husband (she was married!?). This place is by far the most astonishing hotel I have seen, especially with their presentation… of everything! When Lizzie and I sat down to order, Rich came over and insisted that her ex was paying for our dinner – woohoo, like I’d ever turn down free food… like I’d ever turn down any food. I decided, hey, I’m in Bali, why not have an authentic dish, while Lizzie opted for the good old fashioned cheeseburger. All in all it was a fantastic day and night and, as I mentioned years ago, Bali is by far a place to visit and vacation. PS. No marriage proposals from 16 year old girls this time around!