craiglouis@shaw.ca

The world so far...

Saturday, February 3, 2007

Bora Bora, French Polynesia


What a great day! After annoying the Bridge coutless times for my Cruise Log info, I finally was able to get off the ship. I rented a bicycle from some completely sketchy car rental place. The bike, as you can see from the picture, is actually older than I am; the only brakes are when you peddle backwards; a Wicked Witch of the West basket on the front; no changing gears, but the chain rubbed against the single gear and every loop it made it caused the bike to jerk; no shocks AT ALL (and Bora Bora isn't exactly the most pothole-free place, let alone paved for half the time); and two semi-flat tires. Two hours and fifteen minutes later, I circumnavigated myself around the entire island (as there's only one road). There was ridiculous rain storms that completely soaked me - so much that my shoes still squish - and humidity and heat to make sure that I couldn't tell between the rain and my sweat. Oh, and because the seat was basically a piece of metal, my butt kills now... I doubt I'll be able to even walk tomorrow. Bora Bora is beautiful though and highly recomended!