craiglouis@shaw.ca

The world so far...

Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Semarang, Indonesia








Lizzie, Lori, Jon, Christine and I got up and met at 6:25 am to get off the ship to go to Borobudur (a very famous 8th century huge Buddhist temple)... we were only allowed off the ship at 9:00 am - after all the PAX tours got off. That meant that Lizzie could not go because she had EC (Jen and Wendy, I know you miss that!) and that the rest of us would only have about 1.5 hours there, which ended up being just enough time. The site is simply spectacular. At one point it was the world's largest Buddhist temple (I think it's the second largest now). Every square inch of the stone is hand-carved with figures and buddhas. Like most Asian ports I was accosted not only by the vendors but by the random school girls. Jon and I toured the grounds and every time a group of girls passed us they would have the crazy Asian girl giggle (much like Juanita Santos) and plead to take a picture with one of us; after about 40 or so girls we attempted to avoid them! The day was fantastic and the weather was great. On the way back to the ship we did blow a tire and it started to rain, but other than that it was perfect... including ending the evening with a Pinnacle dinner with the boys - Steve, Ronan, Jon and I. Semarang is beautiful, but if it came down to it I would choose Bali over Java any day.